Attach to running excel workbook Application Modeler

RPAmA

Excel 2016, 64bit application.

I've created some menu navigation steps in Object Studio, Everything works if I have excel launch as a new application from within the modeler....
however...
When trying to attach to an existing workbook within the modeler, no combination of things seems to let this happen successfully. I end up with errors that say a connection could not be made.

If I have a workbook named Book1.xlsx, running and visible.... with no other workbooks open.... what settings would you use to attach to it from the modeler??? It has to be in the modeler because I am using UIAutomation to navigate the toolbars.

Also, as a followup, my next question is how do I pass a workbook name from a process into an object to make that connection more dynamic and not yet another hard coded problem.

RPAmA

I found out how to pass handles between pages and stuff. This is done by right clicking on the "start" item on the object and setting inputs required there.

Still zero solutions for attaching to an existing excel instance using the Application Modeller though.

RPAmA

Am I not asking this question correctly? It seems like a pretty straight forward question, and something that should be achievable using the blue prism GUI.

gil.silva

Hello RPAmA,

First of all, I wouldn't recommend you spy excel elements. ALL the actions in excel can be accomplished using code stages, that's the standard way and by far the best one. But, create new actions requires some VB.net knowledge, so I understand if you have a different approach.

Your problem is probably connected with the way you configure your Application Modeller.
Please, open your Application Modeller and execute the following steps:
1) Click Application Wizard
2) Next
3) Next
4) Select 'My Application will already be running'
5) Next
6) Next
7) Write 'EXCEL' in the Windows process name
8) Next
9) Browse the path to the Excel (similar: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\EXCEL.EXE),
10) Next until the end.

Then, you should be able to attach to a running excel workbook.

Let me know if you need more assistance.

gil.silva

Hello RPAmA,

SmarView is just an add-on with actions to manipulate data.
All those actions can be performed through code stages.

But if you really want to interact with the Excel GUI, you can use the action 'Attach to the Workbook'
View attachment 1563865037361.png
Then, you will be able to spy elements.