Blue prism - Unable to launch service manager (Services.msc)

DKarthik

On the application modeller, added the application path as C:\Windows\System32\services.msc for Windows Services manager. While launching to capture the objects, error message "Error - Failed to launch application - Failed to launch C:\Windows\System32\services.msc" is displaying.

I'm able to launch the Services.msc on the object studio page by using the VBO - Utility - Environment however unable to capture the objects in the application modeller due to above said error.

Attachments

• Application modeller.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 39

sivagelli

Instead of trying to launch the .msc file directly, you can try this approach-
  • use 'Start Process' action in Utility Environment Action with inputs
    • Process: "C:\windows\System32\Cmd.exe"
    • Arguments: "/c Services.msc"
The above step launches the Services.msc window. Do not close the Services.msc window and follow the below -
  • Click on Application Modeller and choose the options on the Wizard: Windows Application -> My Application is already Running -> enter window title as Services -> and leave all the other pages on the wizard with defaults
  • Click on 'Launch' button, this will attach Services.msc window for spying
  • Now, you can add Elements and spy them
The flow will be:
1. Start
2. Start Process to launch the Services.msc passing as an argument to cmd.exe
3. Add wait stage with 10 sec
4. Navigate Stage with top root as Element with 'Attach' action and pass 'Services' for Window Title
5. ... (Your steps)
6. .... (Your steps)
7. End

Post back how it goes.

jursky

Judging by the name of 1st element in Application Modeller I presume that you're trying to use it for restarting some Windows service? For that you can simply use Utility Environment - Start Process, and use it like this:
cmd /c "net stop "Service Name" & sc start "Service Name""
This will restart the service you need. It's much more convenient, faster and more bullet-proof as when something fails, you'll get the error as an Exception instead of looking for specific windows. The only thing you have to count with is that you will probably need run BluePrism with Admin Rights - I am not sure if you can restart a Windows Service directly without them.