BOT Vs Processes

MadhuG001

Hello All,

Can anyone please explain what exactly a BOT mean in BP
I am bit confused, whether BOT means a BP Process or something else ?

Thank you.

LeoLugo

The way to think about it that was easiest for me is to think of the bot as a person and think of the process as the steps in your head to complete a task. Not sure if that will help you understand but thats the way I think of it on a base level.

LeoLugo

Quick explanation that might help you. Let's say that you are standing in front of a door that you want to walk out of.
The BOT is you
The PROCESS is :
Lift arm, grab handle, turn knob and pull.
Your hand is the BUSINESS OBJECT.
The door is the APPLICATION.
Not sure if I am explaining this correctly and I might be confusing you further but I can't really think of any other way to explain it.

MadhuG001

Thank you so much, LeoLugo for explaining in a better way.

So as per example above, when it comes to MULTI BOT architecture, can we think like:- If opening the door & walk out of the door is a complex thing (hypothetically), then more than one people(BOT) required to finish the process?
Not sure, but correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you.

Sridar

Thanks guys.. Very simply explained Single Bot..
Let me also try a example for Multi bot architecture.

ME, MadhuG001, LeoLugo, drubiano stand in Line, and do the same process (door opening) what LeoLugo has said before one after another.
So we 4 are Multi bots do the same process one by one.

I just gave a try, correct me if i'm wrong.

Thanks

LeoLugo

No. How you design your process is up to you but complexity of the process doesn't necessarily mean it has to be Multi BOT. It's more like if you were in a room with 100 switches that all need to be flipped. If you have one BOT it will take a long time to flip all the switches. It would be better to have 10 BOTs that will flip 10 switches each. Lets say you number index cards 1-100(items).You have to make sure there is only 1 index card for every switch so the same switch doesn't get flipped twice. This can be done multiple ways which I won't be able to discuss here as it is too lengthy. You would then have 1 BOT put all the index cards on a wall(Add to queue) again, there is multiple ways of doing this. Each bot would then go to the wall and take one card(item from queue) which will then be locked(queue) essentially becoming invisible to the other BOTs . That bot would go flip the switch(process). Cross out the number on the card and put it back on the wall(Mark Completed). If there was a problem flipping the switch then the BOT would do something to indicate it wasn't able to flip the switch for some reason like maybe circle it with a red marker(Mark Exception). Depending on the problem that prevented the switch from being flipped you can have the BOT try to flip it again or not(Retry). That is it in a nutshell. Hopefully I helped you understand a little bit better!