BP 6.4 - Chrome Known issue. Elements not being recognized after spying

PraveenNair

Hi,
I had this issue in 2 different machines with BP 6.4

Issue:
Spied elements on a web application are NOT being recognized suddenly when it was working fine few days ago. I tried different websites to see if I encountered the same issue and it did.
The spying process works completely fine but when it comes to recognize that element, it cant find it. I compared the before and after attributes and they are exactly the same. This issue is not see in Win32 or thick appications or Internet Explorer. This is seen only on websites/web applications running in Chrome.

Troubleshooting steps performed:
- restart the machine
- used a different id for OS login and BP login ( to eliminate any issue with credentials/roles/premissions)
- reinstalled BP 6.4
- Re spied elements but got same result

BP support blogs mentions this issue and the possible solution:

I found this issue mentioned in Blue Prism’s support blog.
https://help.blueprism.com/Automation-Design/Studio/Object-Design/1137948822/Why-am-I-unable-to-match-any-elements-when-spying-new-elements-or-when-working-with-elements-already-spied.htm

Checked all possible solutions mentioned in this blog but the problem still persists.

Besides upgrading to 6.4.1 , does anyone else have a solution? or advice on troubleshooting directions?

Thanks for looking into it.

nmanojnunna

Hi Praveen,

Even we have faced the similar issue where all of sudden chrome unable to identify elements.
We could find that this is happening because of Chrome updated to 72 version.

Blue prism is already know about this issue and working on it.

Workaround:
1. First check the version of chrome installed. Chrome Settings--> About chrome.
2. If it is version 72.x.xxxx.xx. then uninstall chrome.
3. After Uninstall of chrome, type “msconfig” on windows search and open it.
4. Go to “Services” tab in System Configuration window. Click on “Hide all Microsoft services”.
5. Look for below google services and uncheck them.
"Google Update Service (gupdate)"
"Google Update Service ( gupdatem)"
6. Install chrome again.
7. Then blue prism will identify elements on chrome.

Thanks.

PraveenNair

Thank you Manoj for your response. Does the upgrade to 6.4.1 resolve this issue. As per BP, they made enhancements to how BP spies Chrome.
Please share your findings if any.
thx.
Praveen.

HRBMichael

We are seeing the same issues, very curious if anyone has seen the upgrade to 6.4.1 improve or solve this problem with Chrome

rishankk

BP version 6.3 with chrome Version 72.0.3626.119 , same issue as above.
tried reinstalling chrome extension -- did not fix
only the browser mode is impacted it does not detect any elements when highlighting, but able to detect elements when identifying.

PraveenNair

Just wanted to let you know that BP 6.4.2 is out and this release has updates on chrome extension. I have since installed 6.4.2 and tested with chrome ver 72 and it works. I was able to spy new elements and also identify all previously spied elements and so far there are no issues. I just hope that when chrome ver 73 comes out, BP 6.4.2 would still work.

Just wanted to let you know that BP 6.4.2 is out and this release has updates on chrome extension. I have since installed 6.4.2 and tested with chrome ver 72 and it works. I was able to spy new elements and also identify all previously spied elements and so far there are no issues. I just hope that when chrome ver 73 comes out, BP 6.4.2 would still work.

Keep us updated Praveen in case something goes wrong!

nmanojnunna

A quick update that blue prism does not support chrome 73 version yet. Please make sure to disable the auto updates option for Google chrome (u can refer my earlier response to disable auto updates). Otherwise, it will lead to same problem like 72 version.

Thanks,
Manoj

Chrome is still very unstable but to get the Web elements to work you need to go into your flag settings.

Go to the navigation bar in chrome and type --- 'chrome://flags'
Then type 'network service' in the search flags
Make sure 'Runs network service in-process' and 'Data reduction proxy with network service' are enabled.

This should solve your issue.