Cannot select an item in a drop-down list on a website

jpcrepeau

Hi,

I am trying to automate a process that goes on a website and books an appointment.

There is a drop-down list that looks like Java or something not pure HTML. The box does not show a drop-down, but when you click on it some options appear. It spied as an HTML Edit.

If I do it manually, I click on the box and choose my option and it works fine.

I am able to write the choice in the field, but when I choose schedule, it comes back with an error that the field is empty.

If I send a click in the box, the choice does not stay, it appears and disappears.

I tried HTML, UI and Region without success.

I know it is not super clear and I do not want to post any screenshots as this is a vendor website and not mine, but would anyone have an idea?

thank you in advance!

harish17

Hi,

After spying the box in html mode. In values attributes what are the values it is giving ?
Is it giving the value you want to select??,
If it is not giving any value in value attribute try different modes ,you will definitely get values in other modes if not html.
Revert back how it goes.

Thanks

jpcrepeau

Hi,

thanks for the reply. If I spy the box, it gives me HTML edit with only the default value. If I spy the box after clicking on it, it spies as an html combo box with the values I want. Problem is I cannot get the combo box to appear. If I send a click to the html edit item, the box appears and disappears right away, In real life, if I click on it, the box remains for me to make a choice.

I'm not even sure how, but a few times I was able to select the right item in the combo box, and it comes back in the html edit field, but when I hit book appointment, it comes back saying the field is empty. If I click on any field manually before booking it works, but if the bot clicks on anything, it doesn't work.

I attached screenshot of the box unclicked and then clicked. I have hidden the choices, but I think you will get the point.

Box as it comes first:

View attachment box.JPG

Box once clicked:

View attachment selected.jpg

There a 3 choices, "--" plus two other ones. I am trying to select the middle one.

harish17

Ok, try this way spy that element and use navigate stage you can see the action called get item and select that item in the bottom you will see the inputs under inputs name called inputs Item give the exact value which you are seeing in that drop down.
Revert back how it goes.

jpcrepeau

Hi,

I am able to get the right value in the box using the "Select Item" Action in navigate. Problem is that when the value is in the field, the field is blue. If I click anywhere else, it becomes white and it works. If I don't, the field remains in blue and when I book the appointment it comes back saying the field was empty.

Thanks for the help it is appreciated!

jpcrepeau

Found how to do it!

I spied the whole window as Win32 mode and simply send a global mouse click center so the checkbox "validates" itself.

doesn't always have to be complicated ;) I tend to overthink these issues sometimes.

thanks again!

J-P