Convert Excel version to Excel 365

riderc1

I automated another program that outputs reports in Excel format - however, the Excel format it saves the files as is older. I have Blue Prism interact with the program and save it to an Azure share - the Excel files are then imported by another system process. The other system process is using some Python libraries and is having problems with the Excel files. I think it is unicode related, but someone else has been working on that part of the process.

The program I automated has no option to pick which version of Excel it outputs the files as. I just know it is not the latest version of Excel from Office 365. I also do not have other output options that are going to work.

If I use Excel from Office 365 to open the output files, then save a copy - it converts to the new format. The problem I am trying to describe goes away.
An obvious solution would be to have Blue Prism launch new Excel, open files, save files.

However, can anyone think of another solution? The system running Blue Prism does not have Office 365. I can probably get this installed - but we sometimes run into headaches with our license terms. Just checking if there is a VB script or something similar that I could use.

Alberto S

By Excel 365 format do you mean .xlsx? Then I guess you have installed pre-2007 Excel with .xls as default format.

You could try installing the Microsoft Office Service Pack 3 (SP3), it adds retro-compatibility for earlier versions of Office, including Excel. With it, you could use your solution of saving a copy without installing a new Office version.

Check for it in the Microsoft Update Catalog: https://www.catalog.update.microsof...ibility Microsoft Office Service Pack 3 (SP3)

riderc1

By Excel 365 format do you mean .xlsx? Then I guess you have installed pre-2007 Excel with .xls as default format.

You could try installing the Microsoft Office Service Pack 3 (SP3), it adds retro-compatibility for earlier versions of Office, including Excel. With it, you could use your solution of saving a copy without installing a new Office version.

Check for it in the Microsoft Update Catalog: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Compatibility Microsoft Office Service Pack 3 (SP3)
It is a strange issue. The program we are automating does save with a file extension of .xlsx. However, if you open the .xlsx file from the program with Excel 365, save it to a different file, then diff the files - there are many changes.
I'm not sure I'm allowed to name the program I have automated. It is a terrible program and has many weird issues like this.
I did find I can output to CSV - this might be a better fit for how we are using the data. The Excel problem seems to be related to an issue with unicode. (We contacted the vendor - they are confused by the issue as well.)
Thank you for your reply.