environment locking and multi-bot

Shweta

hi,

can anyone pls help me in implementing environment locking /multi-bot feature:

1. there are three files, one is dashboard file and another is sample1.xlsx and sample2.xlsx files.
2. Bot is pasting the data from dashboard file to both sample 1 and sample 2 files and then some excel operations are being performed in both the excels. (both are maintained separately).
3. How can i design the flow such that both the bots can work upon file preparation simultaneously like first bot can prepare sample 1 file and another one can work on sample 2 file.
4. Also, if data is not present in dashboard file for sample 2 file, then that sample 2 file will not be worked upon.

thanks.

Pete_L

You can load the dashboard file into a work queue and then have multiple bots process the data from there, with the appropriate logic in your process to paste to sample1 and sample2 as required.

Shweta

No, in WQ I have to add sample 1 and sample 2 file data as that is my main file which needs to be processed.
The sample 1 and 2 files are being prepared from dashboard file

Pete_L

Sorry, you mentioned in your post that "Bot is pasting the data from dashboard file to both sample 1 and sample 2 files". Now, it sounds like you're doing the opposite. So do you actually need to process data FROM sample1 and sample2 and paste the data INTO the dashboard file?

If so:
If you load sample1 and sample2 to the WQ (or into separate WQ's for each), and they both must update the dashboard file, then you will need to lock the dashboard file before each sample1 or sample2 work item is processed, and also save the dashboard file after each update (before unlocking it) since only 1 process can have the dashboard file open at a time. If I am understanding it properly, it can likely be done but this is not really a good multi-bot scenario, as it will take a long time to process the work items due to file locking complexity and the time-consuming save file step. The other bots you run it on will have to standby and do nothing while one bot has the dashboard file open and locked.

Is it possible to process all of sample1 and THEN all of sample2 sequentially? If it is, then that will eliminate the need to lock the dashboard file. You would open the dashboard file, process sample1 and update dashboard, save and close dashboard, then repeat with sample 2. In this scenario, there is no need to lock the dashboard file. (You could also do it without saving and closing the dashboard file in between.) The key here is to process sample1 and sample2 sequentially on one bot. Once you add in multiple bots, you have to deal with locking/saving/closing.

I hope this helps. Good luck!