file does not exist or is not a file

elifkaraoglu

I download .xls file in web and i cant open workbook with filepath. I tried change file type with .xlsx but it didnt work. ‪‪
How can i access to C:\Users\myUsername\Downloads\Report.xls
Also utility file exist cant find this download path. When i create blank .xlsx workbook i can access this C:\Users\myUsername\Downloads\ path.
I just cant access downloaded file. Why this is happen? Downloaded file is completly normal. Also i tried combine path.
Is this about latest windows update?
I work on Windows Server 2012 R2.

Pete_L

Can you show the configuration of the stage that is causing the error?

Also, check your Trust Center settings in Office. The Protected View settings might be preventing you from opening the downloaded file. Below are the steps:
Open Excel on a blank workbook. (Even an existing workbook will do. We aren't going to change anything on the workbook).
Got to File > Options > Trust Center and click the Trust Center Settings button.
Select Protected View and then untick the 3 options.
Click OK to get back to the Excel workbook.
Close Excel and try your automation again.

Please note that the Protected View settings might be controlled by your organization's Group Policy settings. If so, you will not be able to make these changes but you can ask IT to enable the setting on your DEV machine and the runtime resource(s).

Pete_L

I'm glad you got it to work! The protected mode settings are likely going to keep getting reset with Window Updates. We've had similar problems in my organization. The solution was to get our IT department to make special Group Policies for RPA bots. These policies should prevent Windows Updates or other application updates from resetting this and any other setting that could get changed by updates. We, for example, have special group policies for applications that update frequently, like Adobe Acrobat, and/or which might have an initial screen that needs to be closed upon the first use of the application after an update. If they don't get closed, then the automation will fail because it won't find the expected initial screen for the app. Adobe is a notorious example for us. IT has set policies to prevent these kinds of things, and/or has created login scripts that run automatically when the bot is rebooted each day to reset critical settings or close those troublesome initial screens. Talk to your IT and see if they can do similar things. Otherwise, upudates will cause a lot of problems for you.