Global Sendkeys Password

Enoch_Foul

Hi

I am trying to use Global Sendkeys to enter a password into a Windows Security window. The Username works fine, however the sendkeys will not enter any text in uppercase letters which leads me to the problem of the password. Sendkeys will not allow me to enter the password with uppercase and special characters. For example if I have a password ApplesPears22? The bot enters the password as applespears22/ any ideas on a solution. Thanks

sahil_raina_91

Hi

I am trying to use Global Sendkeys to enter a password into a Windows Security window. The Username works fine, however the sendkeys will not enter any text in uppercase letters which leads me to the problem of the password. Sendkeys will not allow me to enter the password with uppercase and special characters. For example if I have a password ApplesPears22? The bot enters the password as applespears22/ any ideas on a solution. Thanks

Please verify if you are using Global Send Key Events instead of Global Send Keys

Pete_L

By doing what you describe, you are putting the password in the code. When the password changes, you will need to update the code and do a release. This is not the recommended way. I can't help you with this, because I have never used this unsecure method of entering a password. Sahil_raina_91's suggestion to use Global Send Key Events might solve your issue.

Best practice is to use Credential Manager. Create a credential record in Credential Manager and enter the user ID and password. Check the 3 tabs to ensure that the credential is available to the appropriate processes, bots, etc. Then, in your process use Get Credential from the Credentials VBO. This VBO will allow you to get any of the data fields from the credential, one field at at time. Store the user ID and password into data items and use those data items to enter the user ID and password into your Object. Now, when the password changes you only have to update it in the credential and it will take effect without having to do a release. Also, it avoids your password being in the code.

Enoch_Foul

By doing what you describe, you are putting the password in the code. When the password changes, you will need to update the code and do a release. This is not the recommended way. I can't help you with this, because I have never used this unsecure method of entering a password. Sahil_raina_91's suggestion to use Global Send Key Events might solve your issue.

Best practice is to use Credential Manager. Create a credential record in Credential Manager and enter the user ID and password. Check the 3 tabs to ensure that the credential is available to the appropriate processes, bots, etc. Then, in your process use Get Credential from the Credentials VBO. This VBO will allow you to get any of the data fields from the credential, one field at at time. Store the user ID and password into data items and use those data items to enter the user ID and password into your Object. Now, when the password changes you only have to update it in the credential and it will take effect without having to do a release. Also, it avoids your password being in the code.

Hi
I am using that very method by retrieving the credentials from credential manager. The trouble is im having to deal with a windows security popup which will not spy so instead im having to use Send Keys to enter the password. So the problem is the process is taking the password in its correct format from a password data item and then when Send Keys gets hold of it everything is entered without the capital letters and without the appropriate special characters. In effect what is happening is the bot is not holding the shift key to perform a capital letter or the correct special character. I know how to use the shift key in Send Key events but im trying to figure out a way which doesn't involve me having to slice up the password and perform the shift event e.g.
<{SHIFT}a>{SHIFT}pples<{SHIFT}1>{SHIFT}

So image doing that when you have a password like zs6TYQ?owl$js

Hope that mske sense thanks

Last edited:

sahil_raina_91

Hi
I am using that very method by retrieving the credentials from credential manager. The trouble is im having to deal with a windows security popup which will not spy so instead im having to use Send Keys to enter the password. So the problem is the process is taking the password in its correct format from a password data item and then when Send Keys gets hold of it everything is entered without the capital letters and without the appropriate special characters. In effect what is happening is the bot is not holding the shift key to perform a capital letter or the correct special character. I know how to use the shift key in Send Key events but im trying to figure out a way which doesn't involve me having to slice up the password and perform the shift event e.g.
<{SHIFT}a>{SHIFT}pples<{SHIFT}1>{SHIFT}

So image doing that when you have a password like zs6TYQ?owl$js

Hope that mske sense thanks

Try to send send CTRL+V to password field.
Have the password stored in the clipboard via set clipboard action.

Last edited: