Issue with Type of Environment Variable

composedgaurav

I am facing a strange issue with Environment Variables. I have declared two of them as Number type, but when I try to use them in a calculation stage inside a Process, they show up as Text and not Number. I need to increment them basically. Am i missing something here?

pls check if you declared any other variable with similar name (not exact)
hope you did press "Apply" button after declaring the environment variable in System tab.
save and refresh/reset the process and check again
if none of these work..please post screen shot of the declaration and usage..

anisjolly

Administrator
Have you tried to recreate them? Have you closed Blue Prism down and restarted it? Sometimes to make changes apply to the system, you have to restart BP.

Also, you can't write to Environment Variables so if you're looking to increment the value, you're going to have to store the Env Var's value in another Data Item.

composedgaurav

Thanks @anisjolly restarting BP and machine did it. I figured out that I can't change the environment variable from within a process, so could you suggest what I can do if I need to increment a value (order number basically) every time a specific process is ran? Is there a way in BP to do that or I need to look outside and probably store it in some database or file on the system?

anisjolly

Administrator
Brilliant. Glad you got that fixed.

So, to increment a value, you're better off storing the Environment Variable value into another Data Item and simply incrementing that. Just out of curiosity, what is it that you are actually incrementing? Is it just a count to try something a few times? If I can get some background on this, I'll be able to provide better advice.

composedgaurav

Brilliant. Glad you got that fixed.

So, to increment a value, you're better off storing the Environment Variable value into another Data Item and simply incrementing that. Just out of curiosity, what is it that you are actually incrementing? Is it just a count to try something a few times? If I can get some background on this, I'll be able to provide better advice.

The process is reading names off an excel sheet and if it finds a new name with the value "no" under "processed" column, it is just creating an invoice for that name as it has not been created yet and marks the processed column with "yes". Now I need to increment the invoice number every time a new invoice is created, hence I need to reference a value which is above the process level and is changeable.