Mainframe - Application modeller - Can't launch the mainframe

Dorian Keuller

Hello RPA lovers,

I'm currently working in a POC project and I'm struggling with a mainframe. This is why I'm coming here hoping you can help me.

PROBLEM:

So, I need to connect my mainframe to blueprism in order to be able to spy elements. But when I lunch it, it crash. And I don't know what to do.
I guess the problem is in the way a "setup" the mainframe. Below some screenshots:

1. The mainframe information

Mainframe config.PNG

2. Mainframe SETUP

Mainframe config 2.PNG

3. Application Modeller Wizard for the Mainframe

Blue prism Mainframe config.PNG

4. Application Modeller Session

Blue prism Mainframe config 2.PNG

5. Application Modeller CRASH

Blueprism Launch crash.PNG

6. Crash with a Launch Stage.

Launch action.PNG

I hope you understand my problem.

Have a great day guys,

Best regards,

Dorian Keuller

RDawson9

Geek
Staff member
Hi Dorian,

Hope you're well. Looks like a tricky issue!

From image 2, I would suggest taking out the Short identifier as A and leave it blank, then just specify it in the Application Modeller. I would also try selecting Generic HLLAPI in image 3, rather than specifying IBM.

Give both of those a try, I'll keep looking into what could be the issue!

Rob

RDawson9

Geek
Staff member
Dorian,

Is this Mainframe session being hosted on the same machine as Blue Prism or is this being accessed via Citrix? If it's the latter, you won't be able to launch the Mainframe session via Application Modeller and a Launch stage.

Rob

Dorian Keuller

Hi Rob,
Thanks for you help.

So I have to connect to a citrix to access a new desktop. On that desktop I need to enter into a mainframe. BUT the thing is my blueprism software is also on that citrix so both the mainframe AND BP are in the same "desktop". So I don't really know if there is an impact ?

I think what is wrong today is my choice of ".dll name & entry point.dll". But I don't really understand what is it and how am I suppose to find the right one.

Best regards,

Dorian.

RDawson9

Geek
Staff member
Hi Dorian,

Following our phone conversation, I've identified the following:

You were trying to launch Mainframe directly but in actual fact, the Mainframe is hosted via “E-Term for IBM” which emulates a Mainframe session on your desktop, rather than you physically launching Mainframe from an .exe file. So what I’ve done is configured Application Modeller to launch E-Term for IBM with the GPA Mainframe file as the command line parameter. You’ll then need to use Surface Automation rather than Mainframe automation. The best way to interact with the emulator is to send keystrokes to navigate around Mainframe, rather than using image recognition.

I would strongly recommend reading the guide on the portal entitled “Surface Automation of Terminal Emulators”. This was a really useful document for me when I was first learning to do this.

Let me know how you get on! :)
Rob

vibha_86

Dorian,

Is this Mainframe session being hosted on the same machine as Blue Prism or is this being accessed via Citrix? If it's the latter, you won't be able to launch the Mainframe session via Application Modeller and a Launch stage.

Rob
How would you tackle if its mainframe application in citrix ? Launch