Solved Multi-object design - Attach

cs.andras

Hi,

I was wondering if I am to attach to an application, but using shared application model with a multi-object design... would I be able to (and should I) use a single attach function (using an action stage) instead of copying the same attach page into multiple objects?

Many thanks!

RDawson9

Geek
Staff member
Hi Andras,

If I've understood your question correctly then no, each object is going to need it's own Attach page.

If you were to create a single Attach page in one object, it will only ever attach the object where it resides to the application, rendering the other objects useless.

Hope this helps (and hope I've understood your requirement correctly) :)
Rob

RDawson9

Geek
Staff member
I'll try and shed some light on attach :) Imagine I was working with an application - Microsoft Outlook for example.

Following Blue Prism best practice, I want to break out my Business Objects into smaller, reusable objects. So I choose to create three Business Objects:
"Outlook - Basic Actions"
"Outlook - Inbox Functions"
"Outlook - Send Mail"

"Outlook - Basic Actions" would be responsible for launching Outlook and so attaches when it launches, by default. However, before the other two BO's can begin to work with Outlook, they need to attach to the application itself, to create a connection between the application and the BO.

Therefore, "Outlook - Inbox Functions" and "Outlook - Send Mail" should both have one page within them called "Attach". Until the BO attaches to Outlook, none of the other actions within it will work as a connection to Outlook hasn't been established.

I hope this was useful :)
Rob