Write images to excel

VJR

Hi sidram.m,

You might have to either write a VBA macro code and then call it from BP
OR have your own customised action using a code stage within the VBO that will insert an image into the Excel file.
Both the codes are just of one line...rest all are create workbook/worksheet objects.

Below is the code for the action in the MS Excel VBO
Code:
sheet.Shapes.AddPicture (Filename:=PicturePath, LinkToFile:=0, _
        SaveWithDocument:= -1, Left:=cellLeft, Top:=cellTop, Width:=-1, Height:=-1)

You need to initialise the sheet object which you can do so by looking at the other actions in the MS Excel VBO.

- PicturePath will be the parameter passed to the Object with the file name included which then has to be passed to the Code stage Input parameters
- cellLeft and cellTop: these are to be used only if you need the image inserted into a specific cell.
Pass the cell Reference (eg; A10) as a parameter to the object. Then in the code stage get the Left and Top values of that cell and use it in these two variables.
If you do not want to insert the image in a specific cell then leave them as 0
- Similarly to keep the image in its original width and height set them to -1.
- SaveWithDocument is -1 for True
- LinkToFile is 0 for False

VJR

Hi Manishgarg3005,

Each of the below links in the forum contains an explanation of how to use the Code stage using VB/VBA.

It is not that difficult given that there already exists a VB code for all the actions in the MS Excel VBO and you just need to make few modifications to it. Also, as you might have experienced, the internet is a vast resource and lots of code to develop any kind of feature is already available on the web. You would just need to know (or learn to know) how to incorporate that code into Blue Prism which would come if you start doing it.

I have given some explanation in these posts on how to start by making a copy of the existing action pages.
I assume you are looking to code for adding the image to Excel. So in your case you just need to create the necessary objects like sheet and workbook (which you will get from the below links) and you are all set to go.
I suggest you go through the links, start coding for your process, if you face any difficulties myself or anyone with the relevant information will be able to help you with it.

http://rpaforum.net/threads/how-can-i-read-or-write-data-from-footer-of-excel-using-blueprism.1075/
http://rpaforum.net/threads/excel-cell-color-identification.1039
http://rpaforum.net/threads/excel-vbo.1031/
http://rpaforum.net/threads/filter-excel-data-by-specific-criteria.992/post-2912
http://rpaforum.net/threads/vba-excel-sorting.509/post-2808
http://rpaforum.net/threads/besoin-d-aide.869/post-2584
http://rpaforum.net/threads/besoin-d-aide.869/post-2821

radhavydehig

Hello ..i am trying to write image to Excel... (I am very new to code:( )
as i m trying to execute with this Syntax it is showing me some errors...

and I am unable to execute it ... could anyone please show it with an example... (Showing code)
and also do we need to define any libraries at initialize stage to execute it
Kindly help me

VJR

Hi radhavydehig,

You will need to create a new action in the Ms Excel VBO.
Here is the Code stage for it.

Code:
Dim sw, dw As Object
Dim ss, ds As Object
Dim excel, sheet As Object
dim cellLeft, cellTop as integer

Try

sw = GetWorkbook(Handle, Source_Workbook)
ss = GetWorksheet(Handle, Source_Workbook, Source_Worksheet)

sw.Activate()
ss.Activate()
excel = ss.Application
sheet = excel.ActiveSheet

sheet.Range(Cell_to_Paste_in).select()
Dim cell as Object = excel.ActiveCell

cellLeft = cell.Left
cellTop = cell.Top

Success = True

Catch e As Exception
    Success = False
    Message = e.Message
Finally
    sw = Nothing
    ss = Nothing
    dw = Nothing
    ds = Nothing
    excel = Nothing
    sheet = Nothing       
End Try

Refer to the file names for the explanation of the below attachments.

Attachments

• 1. Object diagram.JPG
    1. Object diagram.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 350
  • 2. Start stage Input parameters.JPG
    2. Start stage Input parameters.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 351
  • 3. Code stage Input parameters.JPG
    3. Code stage Input parameters.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 341
  • 4. Code stage Output parameters.JPG
    4. Code stage Output parameters.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 331

afzal29

Hi , i am getting error "The given key was not present in the dictionary." when i run code stage, could you please help.Untitled.png

VJR

Hi , i am getting error "The given key was not present in the dictionary." when i run code stage, could you please help.View attachment 1135
Hi afzal29,

The Source Workbook data item should not be "Book 1" but in the format FileName.xlsx.
Either it needs to be an existing file or a new file that is saved so that Blue Prism will know where to paste the image.

afzal29

Hi afzal29,

The Source Workbook data item should not be "Book 1" but in the format FileName.xlsx.
Either it needs to be an existing file or a new file that is saved so that Blue Prism will know where to paste the image.
Thanks , it is working now.

I was using Different Excel VBO for creating handle and open excel work book and a different VBO for writing images to Excel.

i should be using same Excel VBO , this fixed the issue.

Thanks
Afzal

BP_2018

Hi radhavydehig,

You will need to create a new action in the Ms Excel VBO.
Here is the Code stage for it.

Code:
Dim sw, dw As Object
Dim ss, ds As Object
Dim excel, sheet As Object
dim cellLeft, cellTop as integer

Try

sw = GetWorkbook(Handle, Source_Workbook)
ss = GetWorksheet(Handle, Source_Workbook, Source_Worksheet)

sw.Activate()
ss.Activate()
excel = ss.Application
sheet = excel.ActiveSheet

sheet.Range(Cell_to_Paste_in).select()
Dim cell as Object = excel.ActiveCell

cellLeft = cell.Left
cellTop = cell.Top

Success = True

Catch e As Exception
    Success = False
    Message = e.Message
Finally
    sw = Nothing
    ss = Nothing
    dw = Nothing
    ds = Nothing
    excel = Nothing
    sheet = Nothing      
End Try

Refer to the file names for the explanation of the below attachments.

Hi,
I am getting compilation error in code stage. Can u please let me know what is that i am missing. PFA the Issue Attachment

Attachments

• Issue_BP_Img.png
    59.8 KB · Views: 117

VJR

Hi,
I am getting compilation error in code stage. Can u please let me know what is that i am missing. PFA the Issue Attachment
Hi BP_2018,

It looks like you are not writing the new action in the MS Excel VBO.

The very first line of the instructions is - "You will need to create a new action in the Ms Excel VBO" :)
The GetWorkbook and GetWorksheet functions are written in the Initialise tab of the Ms Excel VBO.

BP_2018

Oh i have to write a separate object flow for Getworkbook and Getworksheet. I thought those functions are like inbuilt libraries like in java and i need to import it. Silly me. Thanks for the reply. U are helping me big time. let me do and get back .

BP_2018

Hi I tried writing a separate object flow for Getworkbook and Getworksheet in initalise tab but still i am getting the same error. Can u please share me ur flow in initialise tab. PFA i have attached my obj flow .

Attachments

• IMG_EXCEL_ACTION_TAB.png
    103.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_EXCEL_INI_TAB.png
    62.5 KB · Views: 52

VJR

Hi BP_2018,

I think you read my message differently.

"It looks like you are not writing the new action in the MS Excel VBO"
You should write your new action in the MS Excel VBO by creating a new tab in it. This is because the GetWorkbook and GetWorksheet functions are already written in the Initialise tab of the Excel VBO.

Simply open the Ms Excel VBO. Right click on any of the tabs (choose the one that has the diagram and parameters similar to what you are designing and the one that will most suit your requirements so you don't have to make much changes). Once you right click there will be a Duplicate option. Then give a new name to this new Action eg; "Image to Excel". Also give a new name to the Code stage.

BP_2018

Hi,
When i try to test the copy image to excel code in MS EXCEL VBO i am getting the following error "Invalid index. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8002000B (DISP_E_BADINDEX))" PFA the screenshot.

Attachments

• ErrorWhileRunningCode.png
    110.1 KB · Views: 54

VJR

Hi,
When i try to test the copy image to excel code in MS EXCEL VBO i am getting the following error "Invalid index. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8002000B (DISP_E_BADINDEX))" PFA the screenshot.
Hi BP_2018,

The error on the status bar in the screenshot shows as "Bad Handle" and the Handle data item is also empty.
Either the handle passed to this object is an incorrect one OR no handle is passed at all to the object parameters.
Ensure to pass the correct input/output parameters between the Process and the Object and all will work well.

BP_2018

In the exception stage i have set the exception type as bad handle PFA the screenshot for the same.
I have attached the error from the object code where i call the copy image action created in MS EXCEL VBO as well. In that i get "The given key was not present in the dictionary "

Attachments

• CopyProgramFailed.png
    107.5 KB · Views: 57
  • ExceptionError.png
    103.4 KB · Views: 42