Sundeep4sandy

Hello,

I'm OCRing a PDF and storing the data in collections.

Is it possible for Blue prism to give a pop up(loading bar or anything) on the unused part of the pdf to give the progress of the spying?
Example: if the OCR takes 1 min, I want the popup to display the something and as soon as the OCR is done popup should disappear

If not, Just some sort of update saying OCRing in progress do not touch the contents and closing the pop up after the OCR is done?

Any help would be appreciated.

VJR

Hi Sundeep4sandy,

You may want to use the Alert stage. This is available only in the Object studio and not in the Process.
More details on what they are and how they are used are at this link http://www.rpaforum.net/threads/alert-stage.413/
Do check to see if it serves your purpose. Post back if not then we could think of some other alternative.

Last edited:

RPA_1

Correct. There is nothing like pop up here. You may have to code it in BP.
Out of curiosity.. the PDF you are trying to read - is it a true PDF by any chance ?

Sundeep4sandy

Can you share the code of a progress bar or automatically closing message box that can be used in BluePrism?

what is a True PDF?

RPA_1

I don't have any code . :(
You can try spying that message box and buttons and then try closing it .
True PDF is one where you can do ctrl c and ctrl p (copy from PDF and paste in word or text).
If this is the case then data can be copied to Clipboard and paste into a variable for further processing

Sundeep4sandy

Yes, But the many idea for this post is to get a progress bar of some kind instead of watching the screen while it's processing multiple PDF's

VJR

Hi Sundeep4sandy,

Did you happen to get a chance to take a look at the Alert stage and its explanation in the link that I have provided above?

If you do not want to use the Alert stage then perhaps you can do something like showing a Notepad file as soon as the process starts which contains a message like "Process is running. Please wait....." and then closing the Notepad file after the process is complete. You will also need to handle the Notepad in the Exception Handling in case any error occurs during the process.

VJR

Hi Sundeep4sandy,

Now that I think more on the above Notepad suggestion, you can even create a small Form with a "Please wait..." message of your choice in any programming language say Vb and create a .exe of it. When your process starts, run that exe and when the process is complete (and in Exception handling) close that exe. Let me know if you need any help in either of the solutions.

RDawson9

Geek
Staff member
Hi @Sundeep4sandy

I'm curious as to why this message needs to be displayed. You seem to suggest that you're asking people not to touch the machine whilst the OCR is in progress? Blue Prism should be ran on stand-alone virtual machines that aren't being worked on by anybody else.

@VJR I'm not sure your Notepad idea would be a good idea as this would appear in front of the pdf meaning that OCR would fail.

Rob

VJR

Hi @Sundeep4sandy,

@RDawson9 is right. Activating any other application during OCRing would interfere the capturing of text, hence disregard the Notepad and the Form suggestions. Probably you could use it for nonOCR applications where a similar status window is required.

You could then give consideration to the Alert stage option in the second post from the top.

Sundeep4sandy

@VJR yes I have seen the alert stage and seen that I can view it in the session log. and the idea you've mentioned about the notepad sounded good to me but it was interrupting the OCR.

@RDawson9 Yes, it has to run on the standlone machine, but the demo product that we developing requires some sort of display on the unused part of the screen.

I've tried using code stage like you've mentioned but the main problem is that it requires me to press ok or close the form in order to continue the process, i searched for autoclosing form like pop saying ocr being done and closing after 5 secs, but i was not able to solve those error in Blueprism.

I can use the notepad idea in the unused part of the screen. is it possible for us to give the window size of notepad through blueprism? Like (50,40,40....)

VJR

Hi Sundeep4sandy,

If you would like to go with the Notepad way then can you elaborate what is the unused part of the screen you are referring to? Do you have something run only on part of the screen and nothing on the other part.

Regarding the size and position of Notepad, as soon as we open a Notepad, Windows stores its size and position in the Registry and the next time when you open it, it will launch in that previously "remembered" position. You can try doing that. Open a blank Notepad, mentally make a note of its size and position. Then move and resize the Notepad. Close it. The next time you open it, it will open in the new position where you had previously moved.

Either you can do this one time manually and then whenever you open notepad from the BP process it will open in that size and position.
Else you can use the .bat file in the Answer no. 1 of this link which does nothing but simply inserts the desired size and position of Notepad into the Registry which you can use everytime at the beginning of your process.
https://superuser.com/questions/102...-opens-program-at-a-specific-desktop-location

You can still design a Form exe with the exact required size and probably the position too but without any minimize, maximize and close buttons since anyone can close the Notepad. If you do not have any problem with that then you can go ahead using the Notepad.