UIA in different environment

gab314

Hi,

I have Blue Prism setup in my local machine (Windows 10) , and in my vm (windows server 2019). I am trying to spy on a windows application (FortiClient), and can succesfully do so in my local machine. However the same elements cannot be spyied when I switch the environment (vm). Has anyone encountered this situation?

Gavin

I am unable to spy forticlient even in my local. I am able to launch only, but none of the available spy modes enable me to select a field/element on the form. How did you manage to do it?

Pete_L

@gab314:
First thing I would do is to make sure the screen resolution is the same on both your local machine and the VM. Your organization should decide upon a screen resolution that should be used on all VM's, and all VM's should be set to that resolution by your IT department (or whoever controls the VM's). You should use the same resolution on your local machine too. Please note that this is definitely an issue if you use Region Mode spying, but it can also be an issue if you're automating 3rd party applications or web-based applications.

Please note that depending on the method you use to connect to the VM's, you may not be able to change the resolution on the VM. When using RDC for example, the machine you connect to (VM) will inherit the screen resolution from the machine you're connecting from. To solve this, you could
1) Ask your IT department to change the resolution on all of the VM's to the standard resolution your company decides upon, as mentioned earlier
2) Set the resolution in the first stage of your process. We use a free utility called QRes to do this. Please note: If you set the resolution to something other than the standard, remember to change it back at the end of your process. You don't want to negatively impact other automtions that might be using that VM.
3) Do both to ensure there are no issues. This is actually what we do at my company. This way, while all of the VM's use the same screen resolution, our processes ensure the resolution is as we expect it to be by using QRes to set it at the beginning. Since you don't control the VM's, you never know when someone might unexpectedly change the screen resolution on one of them. This practice ensures that even if they do, your automation will be using the correct resolution.

I would also make sure the version of FortiClient you're using is the same on your local machine and the VM's.

Hope this helps.