How to pass dynamic sheet names in blue prism

VSETHI

Hi All,

Help in dynamically passing Worksheet Name in blue prism.

I am storing the excel sheet "Environment" as an collection which contains all the Sheet Name in one column called "Table_NAME".

Eg:
Sheet 1 = Environment sheet [Which contains the name of all other sheets [i.e sheet2,sheet3] under "Table_Name" column]
Sheet 2 = MARA
Sheet 3 = MATNR

Now i want to dynamically pass the "Sheet names" based on the TABLE_NAME" to copy some data from their respective sheets.

If i pass the sheet name as collection eg: "Worksheet = [Input.Table_Name]" ,it gives me an error as "The required data type is Text but the data type of [Input] is Collection."

How can i avoid hard coding of sheet name and instead pass it from collection or any other method dynamically?

Any help is much appreciated!!

View attachment 1529779672180.png

Last edited:

VJR

Hi VSETHI,

Remove the '&' sign and it will work as the format is - [CollectionName.ColumnName].
To go through every row of the collection (which contains the sheet name), apply a loop on the collection.

VSETHI

Hi VSETHI,

Remove the '&' sign and it will work as the format is - [CollectionName.ColumnName].
To go through every row of the collection (which contains the sheet name), apply a loop on the collection.

Hi VJR,

I tried passing [CollectionName.ColumnName] but it gives me an error as "The required data type is Text but the data type of [Input] is Collection."

The intent here is to pass collection value for column table_name to a "Sheet" field which doesnt accept any other data type other than "Text".

VJR

Hi VSETHI,

[CollectionName.ColumnName] should be passed to the sheet parameter and it should indeed be a text. Looks like you may have the collection column data type incorrectly configured. Are you able to show how your collection Input and the Table_Name column looks like?

VSETHI

Hi VSETHI,

[CollectionName.ColumnName] should be passed to the sheet parameter and it should indeed be a text. Looks like you may have the collection column data type incorrectly configured. Are you able to show how your collection Input and the Table_Name column looks like?

Sure ,will send you a screenshot.

VJR

Hi VSETHI,

The error is occurring since you have dragged only the collection [Input].
Looks like you have a Dynamic collection in your diagram where the columns are generated dynamically and hence you do not see the column names on the right hand side.
As suggested above, simply put this format [CollectionName.ColumnName] in the sheet parameter (assuming you have a loop) and you will find it working.

VSETHI

Is there a way i can store the collection excel data in a text format and then pass it?

The issue here is anything i pass in the sheet field is considered as a string:

Eg:
1. ["Input.Table_Name]" is also considered as string whereas i want to pick a dynamic sheet name based on "Table_Name"

I was trying to use & earlier to fetch the value of collection but it seems everything was considered as string.

VJR

The format I provided you does not contain any double quotes :)
[CollectionName.ColumnName]

VSETHI

Have updated the sheet name as [CollectionName.ColumnName] which is [Input.Table_Name] and you are right its a loop.

Will try once and let you know..Also if you skype business email i can do a screen share with you on the issue which would be faster to resolve.
View attachment 1529834817456.png

VJR

When are you getting the error and at which stage? Reset, Refresh and run the process again.

VSETHI

When are you getting the error and at which stage? Reset, Refresh and run the process again.
Tried reset,refresh and run still same issue as previous screenshot.

Error is happening at "Loop Start 3" stage wherein i have configured an "Input" collection still getting error.

VJR

Where is the collection named Input in the above screenshot. Is it in some other object page?

VJR

Can you show where and how are you passing the Input collection from the Process to the Object.