Outlook Automation

Annie

Hi All ,

Require suggestions concerning few issues related to outlook .The following are the steps where involves my process outlook automation
1.Go to new email in outlook
2.Click on Address Book
3.Enter ID in the field and continue by clicking on" Go"
4.Then the ID details will be populated in the below console and right click to get properties and there a new titled window(ID name) will be opened
5.Now we can see all the ID details in the general tab now shift the control to next tab which is organisation tab there chk for the immediate manager.

And so everything went well till this automation

But the next thing is what i have concern and require your suggestions

6.If the title of the immediate manager has "Head*" then copy his name if not then ,below this we have another tree named as "Direct Reports"
7.From direct reports need to chk if there is any designation that has Head*(Have tried till here but unable to read details as table neither in AA nor Win32, manually tried copying and storing it in excel,word,notepad but no values)
8.If not then again double click on the immediate manager and continue searching till the particular designation is reached.

Kindly do share the suggestions
:)

VJR

Hi Annie,

This could be a daunting task to spy each and every step of the Outlook Address book, although you do continue your research on this spying approach or someone might give you relevant information.
I suggest you to export the global address list to an excel or a csv and from there things would be easier for you.
Do a web search on how to export the outlook global address list (GAL).
Export it once manually and see if the exported file contains all the information you need like manager information, head ,etc. Once it looks good, then search for powershell scripts or vbscripts or batch scripts on how to export them in one click (by just running the script file).

I am just giving you a few pointers with the links below to give you an idea. Don't run them without making the necessary changes explained in them or without finding any other simpler script.
https://www.hofferle.com/exporting-exchange-global-address-list-to-excel-with-vbscript/
https://sites.google.com/site/assafmiron/ExchangeScripts/exportgalusers
https://www.sysadmit.com/2016/03/exchange-exportar-lista-global-de-direcciones.html (requires google page translate)

But the basic idea is if you export it to excel then you can wish to do whatever you want with each ID that you have to search on the email. You can even customise the script to have only the columns you want. This export script can then either be used to run through BP or periodically via Scheduled Tasks on a daily basis to accommodate and new changes to the address book.

VJR

I just came across the last portion of the this link (the 1st one posted above) which says -
"If you wanted an Excel spreadsheet of everyone with Vice President in the title field, it should be changed to this:"

So once you follow the other mentioned instructions and get the export feature working then you might want to just use a wild card character for the sql query and retrieve only the titles that have a 'Head' in them.

Annie

Hi VJR, I tried manually exporting file into csv and all I could get only the titles but no info within for these respective titles.

VJR

Hi VJR, I tried manually exporting file into csv and all I could get only the titles but no info within for these respective titles.
Hi Annie,

For your note it is not elaborate to know what is it you have tried and what changes you have made to which of the scripts before running.

Annie

Without running scripts I did use address book and and from there I got the required title check.thanks for the turnaround solution as well .will definitely try this

VJR

Without running scripts I did use address book and and from there I got the required title check.thanks for the turnaround solution as well .will definitely try this
Alright if that works for you keep it going. Do make sure it reflects any recent changes like change in designation, resigned, new joinee etc all are handled via what you are doing which is the main reason why GAL is accessed.